Why yoga for kids?
Gymnastics, swimming, dance, soccer...there are so many choices available to parents these days for extra-curricular physical activity for children, so why choose kids yoga over other physical/movement-based classes?
Kids yoga goes beyond getting kids physically active and healthy. Rainbow Kids Yoga Instructors strive to maintain a balance between spontaneity and structure - so that children participating in the class learn to listen to themselves (and each other) and express themselves creatively. The mix of stories, song, games, music, mindfulness and yoga poses creates a multi-sensory, tactile environment, where children develop through kinesthetic, visual, and aural learning.
So what makes Kids Yoga NZ different from other movement based activities that incorporate music and games?
- There is no other form of exercise that offers such a wide range of movement
- Children's yoga not only exercises our body, it exercises the mind and strengthens breathing.
- Unlike an adult yoga class, there is loads of interaction in our classes.
- Children yoga fosters not only an awareness of ourselves and our friends, but creates a broader awareness of the world around us.
In short, Kids Yoga NZ is FUN Yoga!
We learn about our body and breathing exercises, we play games, go on yoga journeys and do mindfulness activities, all while learning yoga poses at our desks or on yoga mats. And we always end a class with some guided meditation.
Some of the benefits of kids yoga:
- Develops body awareness.
- Children learn how to use their bodies in a healthy way.
- Helps kids to manage stress through breathing, awareness, meditation and healthy movement.
- It builds concentration.
- Increases physical confidence and positive self-image.
- Feels good to be part of a healthy, non-competitive group
- Increases a child's awareness of breathing and deepens the breath
- Encourages co-operation and teamwork
- Nourishes creativity
- Kids Yoga is FUN Yoga